Thirteen bikes and nineteen riders left our Vale Terrace staging location in Vista and headed out to Shields Date Farm in Palm Desert. The weather was perfect! A winter Santa Ana day with moderate temperatures and plenty of wind in the back country.
Our ride took us down East Vista Way to Gopher Canyon. From there, we hit the Old 395 and took back country roads through Valley Center. Once our group hit Highway 76, we headed East until we came to Lake Henshaw. It was pretty cool and windy, but our riders were well prepared for the fluctuating temperatures and windy conditions. We stopped at Lake Henshaw for a quick break then it was back on the road for the second leg of our journey.
The next part of our ride took us East on Highway 76, until we came to highway 79. From there we took the 79 to the S2, where we headed for Borrego Springs, by way of Ranchita and Montezuma Valley Rd. Montezuma Valley Rd. winds down from Ranchita, all the way down to the desert floor of Borrgo Springs. The scenic views of the desert floor and ever changing colors are spectacular!
We cruised through downtown Borrego Springs and headed towards the Salton Sea. The wind was blowing pretty good and there were more than a few of us that had to pick the sand out of our teeth for the rest of the ride. In fact, in some places, the sand almost covered the surface of the road, which after you pass the Imperial County line, looks very much like the surface of the moon! I always wanted to ride my bike on another planet and if you ride to this very spot, you too can experience the thrill of riding a motorcycle on a desolate piece of real estate! Only a bunch of crazy bikers would attempt a feat like this and have a fun time doing it!
Once we made it to Highway 86, we stopped at a truck stop for fuel, some rest and a quick snack. I paid $2.60 cents per gallon for premium! I haven't seen gas this inexpensive in quite a while!
Once back on the road, we took the 86 towards Palm Desert. It was about another 40 miles to Shields Date Farm and by the time we arrived everyone was pretty hungry. We hit the restaurant and were seated pretty quickly. Many of us had been to this restaurant on many occasions and I can tell you that the food is pretty amazing! The date burger is to die for, but there is plenty of traditional faire for just about every taste out there.
After giving thanks for our food, we settled down to a great lunch and time of fellowship. This gave us a great opportunity to get to know some riders that were new to our group. Jim Sandstoe, brother of Dave Sandstoe and one of our road guards, went on his first ride with the fellowship. Jim rides a Triumph motorcycle, is a great guy and as big as a house! I mean tall! Dave keeps telling me that he's the runt of the litter, which I always find hard to believe, because Dave is a big guy himself. But when I saw his brother Jim, I became a believer! Now I know why they came up with the saying: "I can't see the forest for the trees". Those two boys are some big trees!
We also had the opportunity to meet a nice young couple who found out about the motorcycle fellowship while attending a married couples event at Calvary Vista. Welcome to David and Lorena, who joined us for their very first group ride, cruising in on a brand new sport bike. David and Lorena have a 2 year old young man at home, so they needed Mom and Dad time and spent their day with us. What a blessing!
And last but not least, brother Al, who only rode with us as far as Lake Henshaw, but ride he did! Al is 71 years old and rides a Victory motorcycle. I hope I can still ride at that age! Al showed us young bucks how it's done!
After lunch, it was time to shop and shop we did. There were quite a few us who went home with some tasty confections from the Shields Date Farm store.
The day was waning and it was time to mount up and head for home. Some of the group went directly home via Highway 74 and others stopped for fuel in Palm Desert before heading up the hill. It was a great day of riding and fellowship. A big thanks to our ride leader, Pastor Dave and to all our road guards, who keep us safe! Also a big thanks to all the wife's who support the "boy" in each of the men. We get to serve The Lord and ride motorcycles; how cool is that! And finally to you our riders, who are a great blessing to each of us and to the motorcycle ministry! Without you, this just wouldn't happen!
Well riders, that's all for now. Next month will be another riding adventure and we sure hope you can share in the fun and fellowship. Until then, God bless you all and safe riding!
We cruised through downtown Borrego Springs and headed towards the Salton Sea. The wind was blowing pretty good and there were more than a few of us that had to pick the sand out of our teeth for the rest of the ride. In fact, in some places, the sand almost covered the surface of the road, which after you pass the Imperial County line, looks very much like the surface of the moon! I always wanted to ride my bike on another planet and if you ride to this very spot, you too can experience the thrill of riding a motorcycle on a desolate piece of real estate! Only a bunch of crazy bikers would attempt a feat like this and have a fun time doing it!
Once we made it to Highway 86, we stopped at a truck stop for fuel, some rest and a quick snack. I paid $2.60 cents per gallon for premium! I haven't seen gas this inexpensive in quite a while!
Once back on the road, we took the 86 towards Palm Desert. It was about another 40 miles to Shields Date Farm and by the time we arrived everyone was pretty hungry. We hit the restaurant and were seated pretty quickly. Many of us had been to this restaurant on many occasions and I can tell you that the food is pretty amazing! The date burger is to die for, but there is plenty of traditional faire for just about every taste out there.
After giving thanks for our food, we settled down to a great lunch and time of fellowship. This gave us a great opportunity to get to know some riders that were new to our group. Jim Sandstoe, brother of Dave Sandstoe and one of our road guards, went on his first ride with the fellowship. Jim rides a Triumph motorcycle, is a great guy and as big as a house! I mean tall! Dave keeps telling me that he's the runt of the litter, which I always find hard to believe, because Dave is a big guy himself. But when I saw his brother Jim, I became a believer! Now I know why they came up with the saying: "I can't see the forest for the trees". Those two boys are some big trees!
We also had the opportunity to meet a nice young couple who found out about the motorcycle fellowship while attending a married couples event at Calvary Vista. Welcome to David and Lorena, who joined us for their very first group ride, cruising in on a brand new sport bike. David and Lorena have a 2 year old young man at home, so they needed Mom and Dad time and spent their day with us. What a blessing!
And last but not least, brother Al, who only rode with us as far as Lake Henshaw, but ride he did! Al is 71 years old and rides a Victory motorcycle. I hope I can still ride at that age! Al showed us young bucks how it's done!
After lunch, it was time to shop and shop we did. There were quite a few us who went home with some tasty confections from the Shields Date Farm store.
The day was waning and it was time to mount up and head for home. Some of the group went directly home via Highway 74 and others stopped for fuel in Palm Desert before heading up the hill. It was a great day of riding and fellowship. A big thanks to our ride leader, Pastor Dave and to all our road guards, who keep us safe! Also a big thanks to all the wife's who support the "boy" in each of the men. We get to serve The Lord and ride motorcycles; how cool is that! And finally to you our riders, who are a great blessing to each of us and to the motorcycle ministry! Without you, this just wouldn't happen!
Well riders, that's all for now. Next month will be another riding adventure and we sure hope you can share in the fun and fellowship. Until then, God bless you all and safe riding!
No comments:
Post a Comment